Thunder Top Stingrays 4-2 Saturday

The Thunder outshot the Stingrays 20-7 in the game's middle frame and bounced back after a 5-1 loss to South Carolina last night.

Jan 9, 2016

01/09/2016 8:38 PM -

GLEN FALLS, NY-The Adirondack Thunder (21-9-1-1) scored three goals in the second period to earn an 4-2 victory and split a weekend series with the South Carolina Stingrays (20-12-2-1). The Thunder outshot the Stingrays 20-7 in the game's middle frame and bounced back after a 5-1 loss to South Carolina last night. 

Trailing 1-0 through the first period, the Thunder came out flying in the second period. They would even the score at 2:14 on a shorthanded goal by Gunnar Hughes. The forward intercepted a David Pacan pass and rushed up ice on a two-on-one. Hughes elected to take the shot himself, beating Stingrays goaltender Mark Dekanich over the catching glove. 

The Thunder would break the tie at at 16:36 of the second period on Mathieu Brodeur's fourth goal of the season. The puck popped back to the defenseman at the blue line. He fluttered a shot toward Dekanich who was screened by a large group of players. The shot beat the goaltender five-hole to make it 2-1.

Michael Kirkpatrick would score his first of two goals with only 10 seconds left in the second period to give the Thunder a 3-1 lead. The forward collected the puck off the boards and walked into the slot. He ripped a shot over the glove of Dekanich at 19:50 to make it 3-1 with the power play goal. 

Paul Rodrigues would score both goals in the loss for the Stingrays. He started the scoring shorthanded in the first period. The Stingrays penalty kill, which entered the evening second overall in the ECHL, provided the offense early for South Carolina. Rodrigues scored the Stingrays fifth shorthanded goal of the season only 1:45 into the game to make it 1-0 for the visitors. Dekanich made a blocker save that bounced back to the blue line. Pacan sent the puck ahead to Rodrigues and forward raced in on a breakaway. He beat Adirondack goalie Ken Appleby over the catching glove to make it 1-0.

Rodrigues' second goal came to cut the lead to 3-2 only 19 seconds into the third period as he tipped a Nick Jones shot through the five-hole of Appleby. However, the Thunder would keep the Stingrays off the scoreboard again, and Kirkpatrick would seal the deal with an empty net goal with 19 seconds remaining. 

The Thunder outshot the Stingrays 34-24 on the evening.

The Stingrays complete the weekend by heading to Reading for a 4:00 p.m. puck drop tomorrow. The game can be viewed at the Watch Party Home of the Stingrays, King Street Grille-Northwoods. The Stingrays are back home on Saturday, January 16 and Sunday, January 17 versus Alaska. 

Become a “Fan” of the Stingrays on Facebook at and join the conversation on Twitter at

Back to All